The Army Museum was established in 1961 in an improvised warehouse near General Headquarters for preserving and chronicling Pakistan Army’s history. Construction of a new museum building in the existing location on Iftikhar Janjua Road, Rawalpindi, was completed in December 1993. Over a period of time, a need was felt to renovate and refurbish the museum for depicting our martial heritage in a yet more chronological manner while making the displays more attractive and interesting for visitors including official delegations to General Headquarters.
General Ashfaq Parvez Kiyani, Nishan-i-Imtiaz (Military), Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Chief of Army Staff, on assuming command of Pakistan Army , directed that the task of renovating Army Museum be undertaken by Army Heritage Foundation at a fast pace under the aegis of Lieutenant General Zahid Hussain, Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military), Quartermaster General Pakistan Army. For accomplishment of the assigned mission, the general officer, during 2009, selected and appointed Brigadier Waqar Gull (Retd), Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military), ex Army Services Corps, as Director General Army Heritage Foundation and got Colonel Adnan Saleem (Now Brigadier), Army Education Corps, posted as Director Army Museum. The Museum project was assigned to M/S Construct (Principal Architects Mr. Aamer Waheed and Mr. Rashid Noor) through office of Director General Works and Chief Engineer (Army) and was not restricted only to renovation, but extended to re-designing / extension of galleries, construction of additional galleries and an administrative block, and re-organizing and re-designing the outer displays structures.
As per vision of Chief of Army Staff and under guidance of Lieutenant General Sajjad Ghani, Hilal-i–Imtiaz (Military), a Corps of Engineers officer appointed as new Quartermaster General Pakistan Army during 2010, the theme of Army Museum including its individual galleries and outdoor displays was finalized. For designing of the galleries, M/S Construct, as Army Museum consultants, inducted M/S Design It Is (Principal Designer Ms. Sadia Zenab Khan) and M/S Isolated Media (Chief Executive Officer Mr. Saif ur Rahman Khan) as Product Designers and Communication Designers respectively. Faculty members of National College of Arts contributed significantly in the selection process of artists and fabricators for development of displays. Serving senior officers and retired officers were also consulted for authentication of historical data and advice.
Selected members of Army Museum development team undertook visits abroad to Turkey, China and Russia for viewing other contemporary museums. The team members also interacted with and visited all regimental centres all over the country for carrying out a realistic assessment of display materials availability. Concurrently, study of military history and operations relating to Pakistan Army, research work, data collection, and designing and fabrication activity continued. Each gallery’s concept and design was approved by the Chief of Army Staff and Quartermaster General who kept themselves abreast with progress of the work through in-house-discussions and presentations involving museum development team members besides regularly visiting the museum for seeing the progress of work.
Contributions by following towards completion of the project are acknowledged:
- General Ashfaq Parvez Kiyani, Nishan-i-Imtiaz (Military), Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Chief of Army Staff – for his patronage, guidance and direction.
- Lieutenant General Zahid Hussain, Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military), Quartermaster General, for kick starting the project.
- Lieutenant General Sajjad Ghani, Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military), Quartermaster General, who took over the project in its infancy from his predecessor, infusing zeal and enthusiasm and leading it to its finality.
- Brigadier Waqar Gull (Retd) Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military), ex Army Services Corps, Director General Army Heritage Foundation for being the Project Director who accomplished the assigned task while going into minutest details of each development activity.
- Colonel Adnan Saleem (Now Brigadier), Army Education Corps, Director Army Museum for supervising and coordinating all museum development activities.
- Lieutenant Colonel Baidar Bakht Haroon (Retd), Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military), 41 Horse (FF) / Armoured Corps, Director Army Heritage Foundation, for development of display content and write ups.
- Major Arshad Parvez (Retd), Regiment of Artillery, Consultant Military History & Army Museum, Army Heritage Foundation, for historical input and reenacting and overseeing all development activity specially displays.
- Mr. Muhammad Tahir Khan, Senior Curator Army Museum for assisting the Director in all spheres of activity.
- The Army Museum staff for putting in their best for accomplishment of the assigned task.
Acknowledgement is also due to following who assisted in Museum development activity:
- Directorate of Works & Chief Engineer (Army)
- Inter Services Public Relations Directorate
- Central Ordnance Depot, Rawalpindi
- 477 Army Survey Group Engineers
- 501 Central Workshop Electrical & Mechanical Engineers
- 502 Central Workshop Electrical & Mechanical Engineers
- 503 Aviation Engineering Workshop
Free open daily
-0900 - 1500 hrs (in Winters)
-1000 - 1700 hrs (in summer)
(however entry will be through National Identity Card)
- The Museum
- Featured Galleries
- Ground Floor
- First Floor
- Outdoor Exhibits